Our History

Celebrating 123 years of communications services to Churchill County!

With approximately 65 employees, CC Communications is a local company providing world class, leading edge telecommunications services while retaining a home-grown personal touch from the past.

CC Communications Timeline

1889

On August 5, 1889 the Churchill County Commissioners ordered the Treasurer to issue a check for $975.00 to Western Union Telegraph to purchase the wire plans all the way from Virginia City eastward to a point 25 miles east of Stillwater. Churchill County was now in the communications business.

1896

Commissioners ordered the telegraph line to be changed into a telephone system. First terminals were installed in J.M. Sanford Hotel in Stillwater, and the line extended through the county and then north and east to both Pike’s store and Griswold’s Store in Wadsworth. The old telegraph system was replaced with talking instruments. Churchill County went “modern.”

1903

Due to system overload, a switchboard was purchased and placed in the I.H. Kent building in Fallon. Churchill County Telephone had its first centralized office with rent costing $8.00 per month. Margaret Day was hired as switchboard operator at $35.00 per month the following year.

1907

The switchboard and associated lines were moved into the front room of the courthouse. Churchill County Telephone’s first rate schedule was established. Private party rates were set at $4.00 per month. As the system continued to grow, several rules and regulations were established. Two specific rules were strictly enforced: No vulgar, profane or obscene language would be tolerated and “No spitting tobacco juice in the transmitter.”

1909

Churchill County Commissioners tried to cut down on expenses by eliminating switchboard service from 9:30 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. After much anger was voiced from irate customers, night switchboard service was resumed within five months.

1911

Churchill County Telephone has its first permanent home. It was a cement block building at the current address, 50 West Williams Avenue. Cost was $3,432. This was to house its commercial, traffic and central office operators. Today this building is still in use by CC Communications, although many additions have changed its original appearance and size.

1931

In spite of the depression, growth needs required Churchill County Telephone to replace the 1911 drop system with a new Kellogg, 600-line switchboard. The new switch was followed by an addition to the building creating more space and a basement.

1941

With World War II in full swing, a Kellogg switchboard was purchased and installed for the Naval Air Station at Fallon. Churchill County Telephone gave free telephone service to the American Women Volunteer Services, allowing the organization to furnish telephone service to all servicemen.

1954

Old-style magneto or hand-cranked telephones were used until the dial system was installed in 1954. The first dial call was made by E.R. Allyn.

1961

By 1960 the central office had outgrown its quarters. In 1961, expansion added today’s second story. In addition to the expansion, the new Stromberg XY dial office was installed.

1965

Churchill County Telephone conducted its first customer count. Churchill County had 3,654 telephones in service at this time.

1968

Phone lines finally reached the county residents in Dixie Valley. Long distance calls became easy and fast due to the addition of 36 long distance circuits going to Reno, Nevada.

1979

Churchill County Telephone began removing open wire from Tedford Lane to Briggs Lane. The project continued in 1985 with the removal of open wire from Fallon to Fernley, Nevada. This open-wire communications system was replaced with a state-of-the-art digital microwave system. The last open wire was removed out near Grimes Point in July, 2007.

1980

Installation of the 10,000th telephone! Growth rate for 1980 was approximately 9% bringing the number of subscribers to 5,892.

1983

During this year, Churchill County Telephone converted from an analog switching system to the digital/computer controlled switching system. The cut over involved changes in the central office, operator positions and toll equipment at one time. The conversion was successful, making custom calling features available to customers.

1984

The Telemart store was opened for business. Churchill County Telephone was now in the business of selling and servicing telephones. Payphone rates went to 25 cents for local calls.

1988

On Dec. 8, 1988, Churchill County Telephone was awarded an RSA license to build and operate a cellular telephone system for Churchill, Pershing and Humboldt counties. On August 18th, the last two-party service was eliminated.

1989

Churchill County Telephone celebrated its 100th birthday with a total of 8,575 access lines in use. Churchill County installed its first solar-powered payphone at Sand Mountain.

1990

On September 16, 1990, the residents of Churchill County had cellular service.

1995

Churchill County Telephone steps onto the Information Superhighway by offering customers access to the Internet.

2000

Churchill County Telephone changed its name to CC Communications, reflecting the fact that the company now provided a variety of telecommunications.

2007

CC Communications now is a full service telecommunications provider, offering Telephone, Long Distance, Internet, Television, Computer Repair & Support and Managed Data services.

2011

Only 18% of homes in the United States have fiber to the home access. CC Communications provides fiber to the home availability to 80% of Churchill County.

2012

CC Comm introduces personal emergency, home, and business security monitoring services.