Are you receiving location errors when trying to stream live from HULU? You are not alone.
Some of our customers have reported they have had trouble with HULU generating location errors when trying to stream live. We did a little research and have compiled the following information to help answer the most frequently asked questions when experiencing location errors from HULU.
What Can I Do?
If your location is displaying incorrectly, the quickest way to correct the issue is to contact the content provider (the website or App provider) to change the location settings. These are the recommended steps provided from Hulu if you are receiving location errors.
Hulu’s recommendations for location errors.
- Login to the Hulu Website and update your home location. Be sure to enter 89406 for the zip code, if the site asks for a zip code. If you have a P.O. Box with an 89407-zip code, this could cause issues with certain channels (but not location errors). To avoid errors, enter 89406 as your zip code.
- Hulu allows only 4 home location updates per year. It’s possible for some customers that this limit has been exceeded. This will require contact with Hulu Support to do an override on a case by case basis.
- From Hulu’s website: You can watch Hulu with Live TV from your Home network on any supported device. And when you’re out on the go, you can also watch on a supported mobile device from anywhere in the US. (On up to two screens at once, or more with the optional Unlimited Streams Add-on). Keep in mind that Hulu cannot be accessed on a living room device outside of your chosen Home network. Hulu with Live TV is intended for use by a single household, and subscriptions can’t be shared.
Pro-tip: You can also use a supported mobile device to cast video to a Chromecast. Programming availability may vary depending on device and location.
Hulu’s steps didn’t work. What now?
If you have performed the location service update and still have issues you can try requesting a location correction from the geolocation provider. Anyone with some time and a little patience can submit a request to have a geolocation provider make an update. Here are some tips to get you started:
- Ask your content provider (in this case, HULU) which geolocation provider they use and how to contact them. Contact the geolocation provider and request a location correction. You will want to provide them the following information:
- Are you connected to your home network?
- External IP Address (go to whatsmyip.org or ipchicken.com to get this)
Here are a few of the main geolocation providers:
Wait for the geolocation provider to approve your request. If your request is approved, the amount of time it takes to see the correction varies by provider. The average is a month or more.
Is this an issue with my CC Communications internet?
No. We have done the research, and this is a common issue with HULU and has nothing to do with your actual internet service. Here are a few helpful articles to help you understand geolocation errors and why they occur.
In the Forums
- HULU Location Errors
- Complaints about the GEO Location of home use as compared to LIVE.
What the Other Guys are Doing
- Other Internet Service Providers are experiencing the same issue.
- Interesting site to bypass Geolocation errors and changes.
- Many things break on HULU, how to fix them.